Daily brief   for adults 50+ Subscribe AM & PM email
50 Plus HubEverything for Everyone 50+
Customize My age is in the: 50s 60s 70s 80+ Text size
‹ Back to Breaking News
us50+

Indiana storm deaths rise to seven as White River floodwaters begin to fall

Monday, August 17, 2026 · 3 sources

At least seven people have died in Indiana storms and flooding that began Aug. 11, officials said. The White River peaked near record levels in central Indiana before water started receding Sunday, and President Trump approved a state emergency request.

INDIANAPOLIS - Days of storms and flooding across Indiana have killed at least seven people, state and local officials said, as the White River peaked and then began to fall in the capital region.

Storms that began Aug. 11 dumped more than 11 inches of rain in some areas, the National Weather Service reported. The White River crested just shy of 25 feet in Anderson and Noblesville on Friday, more than a foot above the 1913 record, according to CBS News.

Indianapolis public works officials said flooding from the White River peaked early Sunday and that high water would hold for a few hours before receding. The city planned to reopen floodgates and kept emergency shelters open after hundreds of homes along the river and canals were evacuated. First responders used boats to reach people trapped by rising water.

Gov. Mike Braun said he spoke with President Trump, who on Saturday approved a presidential emergency declaration freeing up to $5 million in federal resources for response and recovery. Braun urged residents to take floodwaters seriously and stay away from them.

According to the Indiana Department of Homeland Security and local agencies, storm-related deaths included a 4-year-old boy in Jennings County killed when a tree crashed through his bedroom, an 18-year-old Purdue freshman found in the Mississinewa River in Delaware County, a 58-year-old woman in Delaware County believed to have died after driving through floodwaters, a 58-year-old woman in Lake County, an 86-year-old woman in Porter County, a 32-year-old man in LaPorte County, and a 31-year-old man in Henry County.

About 130,000 utility customers still lacked power Sunday afternoon, down from a peak near 300,000, according to PowerOutage.us. A senior mobile home community in Tipton County was among places evacuated. The American Red Cross Indiana Region said more than 4,700 meals and snacks had been served in recent days.

Professional sports teams including the Indianapolis Colts and Indiana Pacers each pledged $125,000 to Red Cross flood relief. Recovery work continues as waters drop and damage assessments begin.

The 50+ takeaway: Stay out of floodwater, check on older neighbors, and use official shelter and Red Cross channels. Federal emergency aid was authorized for Indiana recovery.

Go Deeper

How many people died?

Officials put the storm-related death toll at least at seven. Earlier tallies were five or six as recoveries continued across multiple counties.

Where was flooding worst?

Damage centered along the White River corridor from Hamilton County into northern Indianapolis suburbs. Delaware County and other counties also reported deaths and evacuations.

Did the federal government help?

Yes. Gov. Braun said President Trump approved an emergency declaration that can free up to $5 million in federal resources for response and recovery.

Is the water still rising?

In Indianapolis, public works said the White River peaked early Sunday and was expected to hold briefly before receding. Local conditions can still vary by creek and neighborhood.

What should older adults do now?

Avoid floodwater, do not drive through standing water, check generators for carbon monoxide safety, and use county emergency management or Red Cross shelters if homes are unsafe.